Friday, April 1, 2011

Internet pirates on the wireless sea

The jig is up

When we were thinking about getting dad the iPad, I brought my laptop over to their place to check out the wireless situation. I figured, hey, they live in a 55 plus building, there's probably a pretty good chance an older person might not know how to lock their network.

Lo and behold, someone in the vicinity had neglected to password protect their wireless network. Bonus!

So they've been stealing wireless from the start and really seemed to embrace the idea of piracy. I told them they might lose their internet if the provider figured it out.

Then one day mom tells me they lost their connection. I think they got wise, dad tells me.

But when I checked things out everything seemed tickedy boo and I chalked it up to something they did.

We always figure it's our fault, mom says.

But alas, access didn't last and the next time I went over I could see the free ride was over. So they called the cable provider and got hooked up.

Did you password protect your network? I ask.

Oh yeah, mom says, the installer guy said we don't want anyone stealing our wireless.

No comments:

Post a Comment